This easy excursion is dedicated to the famous pioneer of mountaineering Viktor Wolf Edler von Glanvell and leads from Ferrara to the impressive Lake of Braies. You mostly walk through the beautiful and characteristical wood, which represents the original access to the lake.
Starting point: Ferrara/Schmieden (1222 m)
Arrival point: Lago di Braies/Pragser Wildsee (1494 m)
Getting thereValley entrance Braies – road junction to Braies lake turn right to "Ferrara di Braies/ Schmieden".
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots appropriate for winter use (B1+ recommended)
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Water- and windproof mountaineering jacket and trousers with ankle adjustment or separate gaiters
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Water- and windproof gloves plus thin fleece inner gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Hiking poles fitted with snow baskets
- Trail ‘spike’ crampons at minimum and a basic ice axe are recommended when covering steeper terrain
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.