Starting at the Reinswald cable car valley station, the prepared winter hiking trail first leads along the ski slope up to the Sunnolm mountain restaurant. After a short, steep ascent from the Sunnolm, winter hikers can then look forward to continuing on a well-appointed, natural forest trail which winds its way uphill until just before the Pichlbergalm Alpine farm (cable car mountain station). From the Pichlbergalm head east to the sunny Latschensteig trail (part of the Urlesteig trail – the nature experience in the Sarntal valley) at the foot of the Blankenhörndl mountain. Continue until you reach the Getrumalm Alpine farm (staffed; at the beginning and towards the end of the winter season, ask about opening times at the valley station). At the Getrumalm a wide forest road leads down to the car park at the Reinswald ski area valley station.
Tip: a limited number of sledges for a descent into the valley can be hired at the Getrumalm and returned at the ski rental at the valley station.
Getting thereFrom Bolzano fallow the signs for Val Sarentino/Sarntal.
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots appropriate for winter use (B1+ recommended)
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Water- and windproof mountaineering jacket and trousers with ankle adjustment or separate gaiters
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Water- and windproof gloves plus thin fleece inner gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Hiking poles fitted with snow baskets
- Trail ‘spike’ crampons at minimum and a basic ice axe are recommended when covering steeper terrain
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.