Distance 5.4 km
The winter circular hike to the Flaner Jöchl at Rosskopf / Monte Cavallo ridge is an easy panoramic hike for all the family on Sterzing’s / Vipiteno local mountain. The well-prepared trail leads through the snowy mountain and woodland landscape across the valley basin and offers wonderful views of the surrounding mountains. From the nearby Sarntal Alps where the hike begins, to the view of the mountains of the Pfitschtal valley in the foreground and the peaks of the Dolomites on the horizon, through to the view into the Pflerschtal valley: a range of winter worlds present themselves to hikers as they walk along.
Getting thereFrom the A22 motorway exit Sterzing at the roundabout take the first exit right into the Via Giovo. At the next roundabout take the 3rd exit in the Brenner road, through Vipiteno/Sterzing to the valley station of Rosskopf cable car.
32T 682580 5198256
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
Basic Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots appropriate for winter use (B1+ recommended)
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Water- and windproof mountaineering jacket and trousers with ankle adjustment or separate gaiters
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Water- and windproof gloves plus thin fleece inner gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Hiking poles fitted with snow baskets
- Trail ‘spike’ crampons at minimum and a basic ice axe are recommended when covering steeper terrain
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view