From Foci/Santa Maria Maddalena, after an initial stretch of easy path that leads to the Torrione di San Giovanni along the historic "Strada della Pinza", take the steep climb on the left. With about 95 hairpin bends one after another on the climb, it leads to the base of the Cima Sat, the arrival point of the Ferrata dell'Amicizia, which stands out with its flag.
Continuing along the forest path, after the last demanding stretch (a short climb through the woods, skirting the masonry and remnants of the borders of the Great War), you can enjoy the 360 degree view from the solitary Cima Giochello.
For the return journey, take the same path as for the first stretch, then continue, following the signs for Riva del Garda towards Bocca d'Enzima, with a panorama that helps you imagine the history behind such beauty, then descend to the "Fontanoni" area where there is a military depot and the "Belvedere della Grola" with a view of the town of Riva del Garda. From here, the descent is easier and less steep and, passing behind the Bastion, it quickly leads to the Santa Maria Maddalena area, from where we return to the car park.
Water points: there are none along the route, so stock up with adequate water supplies in San Giacomo (fountain at the car park).
Rest StopOfficina Verde
Bastione Lounge & Restaurant
Safety informationThe information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason, we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips and hintsFor more information on routes and hike services: guides, shops and hiking friendly accommodation: APT Garda Trentino, Tel. +39 0464 554444 www.gardatrentino.it
Getting thereGetting to northern lake Garda / Garda Trentino: www.gardatrentino.it
ParkingParking space in San Giacomo
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic Equipment for Trail Running
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Comfortable running shoes
- Trail running socks
- Vest pack
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Kit para bolhas
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.