Most people look down at Locarno and the imposing Maggia delta from the north without imagining that 360° views are also available from the mountains opposite.
The actual start of the route is on the Alpe di Neggia (1395 m), but you can also begin at Gerra Gambarogno (213 m). The best vantage points are undoubtedly Monte Gambarogno (1669 m), Paión and Covreto. However, throughout your run there are beautiful views of Locarno and the surrounding area, as well as towards Bellinzona and nearby Italy.
The simplest and least technical section is that between Caviano and Gerra Gambarogno – but it's very short. Although the path does not present any major difficulties, it still incorporates climbs and covers a fair distance.
Good phone reception throughout, though phones often switch to Italian network providers.
During the dry summer season, water can be hard to come by at altitude.
Book recommendations for this region:
- Light running backpack (approx. 5 to 10 liters) with rain cover if necessary
- Trail running shoes
- Special running socks if necessary
- Adequate and breathable clothing in multiple layers
- Trail running sticks if necessary
- Sun and rain protection
- Snacks and drinking water
- First aid kit
- Mobile phone
- Headlight and reflectors if necessary
Basic Equipment for Trail Running
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Comfortable running shoes
- Trail running socks
- Vest pack
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Kit para bolhas
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.