Sledging in the Upper Venosta Valley, has a long tradition especially in Watles and is one of the most popular recreational sports for families and enthusiasts. The 4km-long Watles natural tobogganing route of the winter sport area is one of the most beautiful runs in the South Tyrol, which can be reached by chairlift. Active holidaymakers can also reach it by foot in approximately 1.5 hours. There are several family-friendly resting places at the valley and mountain station.
Sledge rental directly at the mountain station of the chairlift
Getting thereAttraversando il paesino Burgusio, passando l'Abbazia Monte Maria, fino il villaggio Prämajur. Si vede già il parceggio del centro sciistico Watles
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic Equipment for Sledding
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots appropriate for winter use (B1+ recommended)
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Water- and windproof mountaineering jacket and trousers with ankle adjustment or separate gaiters
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Water- and windproof gloves plus thin fleece inner gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
Technical Equipment for Sledding
- Sled with tow strap
- Trail ‘spike’ crampons are useful on ascent
- Ski Helmet recommended when sledding through heavily wooded areas
- Ski goggles if required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.