A path along the memorial sites of the Second World War. You will walk in the green, among chestnuttrees, green hills, and landscapes and breath-taking views characterised by a soft beauty.
In 2014, for the 70th anniversary of the reprisals of the Nazi-Fascists, Vestenanova commemorated his victims and the sacrifice of countless families who were destroyed by the fires of their houses, stables, cattle, their savings and lifetime memories by organizing a walk through the contradas martyred on July 10 (Luisi, Pezzati, Montanari, Brusaferri), including the presence of the pennants of Alpini, Fanti, retired Carabinieri and the participation of hundreds of people.
A long and calm procession lasted 3 hours among meadows, woods and valleys in a beautiful sunny day, stopped in the contradas that had been burned, at the tombstones or crosses reminding the places of the killings to listen to the stories of children and grandchildren of the victims, in a touching atmosphere respectful of the innocent slaughtered.
1944 was characterized by death and destruction: 15 civilian victims and 5 contradas burned on July 10, 4 victims and 24 contradas burned on September 12 and 14, 3 victims on November 18.
22 innocent deaths and a village destroyed in 1944, 13 more deaths in 1945 made Vestenanova receive the bronze medal for military valour. It was the only town in the province of Verona to obtain this recognition, as well as the gold medal of the city of Verona.
Thanks to the help of these precious witnesses it was possible to reconstruct the events of that year and retrace the lives of the 22 innocent victims of 1944. The memories were collected in a booklet entitled "The painful path of remembrance. 1944 - 2014".
Don't miss the traditional Tourist Festival in Vestenanova on the first Sunday of August!
Remember to assess carefully the type of path you are going to take, the places you are going to visit and the current season. Did it rain? Caution! The paths will be much more slippery and therefore you will need to be very careful.
Be sure to tell someone where you are going and how long your hike is supposed to last.
112 is the telephone number for emergencies.
Local authorities and associations in the areas concerned do not assume any legal responsibility for any damage, or accidents, to people and things that may occur along the signposted routes.
RESPECT THE TERRITORY:
- Do not throw on the ground paper towels, cans, glass or plastic bottles, candy wrappers and much less cigarette butts or packs.
- Take your waste with you or wait until you find a litter bin.
- Respect the flora, fauna and crops, do not pick fruit or wild plants; they may have received phytosanitary treatments.
- Report any disorder or abnormal behaviour in the town hall.
Tips and hints
PRO LOCO VESTENANOVA
CONSORZIO PRO LOCO VERONA EST
ASS. STRADA DEL VINO SOAVE
Tel. 045 7681407
If you are travelling by motorway, the closest exit to the centre of Vestenanova is:
The Montebello exit on the A4 Serenissima, Turin-Trieste motorway, 18,34 km from the centre
The Montecchio exit on the A4 Serenissima, Turin - Trieste motorway, 18,64 Km from the centre
The Thiene-Schio exit on the A31 Val d'Astico, Badia Polesine - Piovene Rocchette motorway, 21,80 Km from the centre
The Piovene Rocchette exit on the A31 Val d'Astico, Badia Polesine - Piovene Rocchette, 26,67 Km from the centre
ParkingVia Mettifoghi - Località Lovati di Sopra - Vestenanova (VR)
Hiking requires suitable clothing and equipment. Even on relatively short and easy walks, it is preferable to be well equipped to avoid unpleasant surprises and to face unexpected events such as a sudden thunderstorm or a power outage: unexpected events are part of the fun as well!
What to bring while hiking:
- suitable carved-soled sports shoes, preferably boots to avoid ankle problems
- good water supply according to your needs (from 1 to 2 litres depending on temperature, possibility of refuelling, duration of the trail)
- snacks (such as dried fruit or bars)
- wind and rainproof jacket
- spare t-shirt and socks
- sunscreen lotion
- gloves and hat during winter months
- GPX track to be uploaded on the mobile phone and used through specifically designed Apps (we strongly recommend View Ranger)
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.