Waalwege are paths along the ancient irrigation channels. Ascend to the canal trail via the Kirchweg or Rösslweg streets. After approx. 300 m the Rösslweg branches to the left from the Kirchweg and rises gently to the shooting range where the Riffianer Waalweg trail begins. It runs between forest edge and meadows as far as Caines/Kuens and ends in the Kuensertal valley. Return either via the Kuenserstraße street, the Valtmaunweg trail or via the Hohlgasse street. If you wish, you can drive to the starting point in the Kuensertal valley by car, park there and then hike as far as Rifiano/Riffian (approx. 45 min).
The path is not suitable for pushchairs or strollers.
Getting thereFrom Merano / Meran to the Passeier Valley in direction of Passo Rombo / Passo Giovo until Rifiano / Riffian.
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.