"An exciting hike through the remote Altensteintal valley past the Three Peaks (Drei Zinnen). There could barely be a more stunning hike.
Warning: medium-difficult hike.
This Alpine ridgeway with spectacular scenery links the "Zsigmondyhütte" mountain hut and the "Dreizinnenhütte" mountain hut, from which you get the famous view of the magnificent north faces of the Three Peaks. At the halfway point, the "Büllelejochhütte" hut is a nice place to stop for a break. This not difficult but long hike is initially dominated by the mighty "Zwölferkofel" peak and then by the "Paternkofel", which became famous during the First World War on account of the heroic death of Sepp Innerkofler. If the weather forecast suggests the afternoon will be cloudier, then hiking the route in reverse might ensure a clear view of the Three Peaks in the morning.
Route: First go by bus or car (or 45 minutes on foot) into the "Fischleintal" valley to the parking area near the Dolomitenhof hotel (1,454 m). From there it is an almost flat walk to the "Talschlusshütte" hut (1.548 m) where you turn right onto trail no. 102/103, going a short distance up the" Altensteintal" valley to a fork in the trail. Turn left here and continue on trail no. 103 high above the floor of the Bacherntal valley until you reach the Zsigmondyhütte hut (2.235 m; great views of the Elferstock and Zwölfer mountains). From the refuge continue westwards on the Alpine ridgeway marked no. 101 across rocky ground, gently uphill in places, to the Oberbachernjoch ridge and then turn right to the Büllelejochhütte hut (2.528 m). Continue on a short distance to the Büllelejoch (2.522 m), then steeply down the scree on the north side before hiking along a lovely, flat trail with views of the Dreischusterspitze peak until you reach the large Dreizinnenhütte mountain hut on the Toblinger Riedl pass (2.438 m). 102 over the Bödenalm Alpine pasture with the two upper lakes and then through the remote and beautiful Altensteintal valley, dominated in the south by the mighty bulk of the Einserkofel mountain. Continue down to the Talschlusshütte hut in the Fischleintal valley and back to the starting point.
This tour is a true classic and an absolute must for any visitor to the Sesto/Sexten region; an opportunity to stand in front of the north faces of the most dramatic mountains in the Dolomites.
Starting point: Parking area at the Dolomitenhof hotel (1.454 m)
Highest point: 2.528 m
Getting thereStarting point: Dolomitenhof Hotel parking area (1,454 m)
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.