Waalwege are paths along the ancient irrigation channels. From the car park of the Hirzer cable car in Saltusio/Saltaus, head down to the Passerdammweg trail until reaching the Apfelhotel Torgglerhof hotel. From here, the canal trail leads into the centre of Scena/Schenna or after the Waalerhütte hut to Rifiano/Riffian and Merano/Meran.
After a comfortable hike of approx. 1.5 hours, you reach the small city centre of Merano, where you can, for example, take the bus back to Saltusio.
Getting thereFrom Merano / Meran to the Passeier Valley in direction of Passo Rombo / Passo Giovo until Saltusio / Saltaus.
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.