This trail lets you discover one of the most memorable points of interest, the S. Giacomo church. According to the legend, a young local inhabitant, Count Jakob von Stetteneck, let it build in the middle of the woods in gratitude for cfoming back alive from Santiago de Compostela. He dedicated it to Saint Jakob, the protector of all hikers.
Tradition holds that the S. Giacomo church is the oldest one of the whole valley, since its own origin goes back to the 12th century. In historic-artistic terms, its Gothic frescos in the presbytery and the paintings from the 16th century near the pulpit, which represent scenes of the legend, are valuable and unique.
Getting thereStarting from the church square in S. Cristina, follow the signs to S. Giacomo. At the beginning, the trail leads along a small road to the Residence Sovara, where the trail begins. The closest bus stop Municipio is located at about a 10-minute walk from the starting point. Parking is available at the car park below the gymnasium near the church or at the Town Hall Square.
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.