Waalwege are paths along the ancient irrigation channels. From the Ungericht Hof farm (Neolithic engraved stone), follow the road for approx. 10 minutes up to the Mutlechnerhof farm (837m) from where the markers lead in a further 15 minutes to the 600-year-old Caines canal along a more or less flat trail. Follow this to its origin, the irrigation canal frame at the Finelebach stream (1,020m). This will take about 90 minutes. On the other side of the bridge, hike to the right of the canal some 100 m down into the valley, then turn sharply to the left onto the lower canal trail that takes you through shady woods back to the Ungericht Hof.
The path is not suitable for pushchairs.
Getting thereFrom Merano / Meran to the Passeier Valley in direction of Passo Rombo / Passo Giovo until Caines / Kuens.
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.