This marked trail leads through colourful mixed woodland in South Tyrol, across lush green meadows and along magnificent avenues of trees - a truly special way to experience nature. A continuous band of chestnut trees stretches from Varna/Vahrn near Bressanone/Brixen along the slopes of the Eisacktal valley as far as the Renon/Ritten high plateau and down into the Bolzano/Bozen valley basin. The hiking trail should not only be thought of as a route for the autumn, as the varied vegetation makes it a delightful route for all seasons.
You can also buy regional produce directly from local producers along the Chestnut Trail (Keschtnweg). Natural and manmade features along the Chestnut Trail bear witness to a centuries-old culture, while local villages shrouded in myth are full of tales of witches, fairies and ghosts.
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.