The route leads from Marlengo/Marling via Lana and Nalles/Nals to Andriano/Andrian. Change to the Etschtal Cycle Path, which leads to Bolzano/Bozen. One of the most ‘castle rich’ regions in all of Europe begins south of Merano/Meran. Worth mentioning are Hocheppan Castle in Missiano/Missian, Appiano/Eppan, Maultasch Castle (Burg Maultasch) near Terlano/Terlan and Sigmundskron Castle (Schloss Sigmundskron) near Firmiano/Firmian, Bolzano.
The route leads along the western edge of South Tyrol's capital city Bolzano (the best way to enter is to follow the Eisack river). The villages south of Bolzano have been historically strongly shaped by the navigable Etsch river. Of particular historical importance are the medieval village of Egna/Neumarkt with South Tyrol’s only proven Roman staging post, Endidae, and Salorno/Salurn, located on the language border at the Salurner Klause, the name of this narrow valley section.
The South Tyrolean portion of the Via Claudia Augusta, leading to Ostiglia near Verona or Quarto d’Altino near Venice, ends at Salorno.
Tip: interactive Via Claudia Augusta route planner available online at www.viaclaudia.org
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.