This cycling tour takes you along a marked cycle trail from San Candido (or from Villabassa/Niederdorf or Dobbiaco/Toblach) via Versciaco/Vierschach and Prato Drava/Winnebach along the Drava (Drau) river to Lienz and is suitable for all types of bikes.
Characteristics: The route goes from San Candido in Italy to Lienz in East Tirol. This part of the Drava cycle trail was the first to be developed and is currently the best maintained section. You can also start in Villabassa or Dobbiaco, which would make the tour longer accordingly. The section from Dobbiaco to Sillian is downhill. The cycle trail is almost always away from the road on the other side of the river and, because of its width and gradient, is also suitable for families with young children. Along the way there are several bus stops so that sections can be shortened if necessary. The route is well signposted and asphalted throughout. There are many opportunities for rest and refreshment along the way.
Starting points: Villabassa/Niederdorf (52,5 km), Dobbiaco/Toblach (47,8 km), San Candido/Innichen (44,8 km)
This tour is also suitable for e-bikes.
Getting thereYou can reach Innichen/San Candido, Toblach/Dobbiaco, Niededorf/Villabassa easily by train, by bus or by car. Please contact the Tourist Info to get information about timetables and free parking areas.
Recommended maps for this region:
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.