This ViaRhôna stage takes you through unspoilt countryside beside the Rhône. Hidden in the magnificent landscapes of the southern Bugey, with their mountains and forests, lie splendid lakes and marshes. You pass lovely villages like Saint-Sorlin-en-Bugey and Sault-Brénaz, and the more secretive La Balme-les-Grottes, with its great caves and picturesque centre. A lovely greenway links "La Vallée Bleue" to Lagnieu. At Lagnieu Bridge, follow the D 1075 and D 65 to join La-Balme-les-Grottes, Be careful on the road (no signposting).
Distance 51.8 km
Don't miss :
- Saint-Sorlin-en-Bugey: a medieval village with castle
- Morestel: a well-flowered historic town that has traditionally attracted painters. It’s a lively place, with numerous historic buildings, shops and exhibitions.
- Grottes de la Balme: these conceal stalagmites and stalgatites as well as natural bassins of water. A Balcons du Rhône heritage site.
- La Vallée Bleue: a big outdoor sports and recreation centre at Montalieu Vercieu
- Briord: with a Roman aqueduct
- Serrières-de-Briord: for Le Point-Vert outdoor sports and recreation centre
- Sault-Brénaz : Thursday morning
- Morestel : Sunday morning
Safety informationEmergency number: 112
Tips and hintsTourist Information Centres :
Office de tourisme du Pays de Lhuis et Izieu
Phone +33 (0)4 74 39 80 92
Office de tourisme de Morestel
Phone +33 (0)4 74 80 19 59
Office de tourisme de Montalieu-Vercieu, La Vallée Bleue
Phone +33 (0)4 74 88 48 56
31T 698548 5065227
EquipmentBefore you leave:
- Make sure that the bike is in perfect mechanical condition, not to mention the tires and brakes
- Make sure that the bike is correctly adjusted to your body shape
- Wearing a helmet is strongly recommended
- Take a repair kit with you
- Remember that the Highway Traffic Act applies to cyclists in all circumstances
- Never drive more than two lanes at a time and pull into a single lane when traffic conditions require.
- Respect other users as you would like them to respect you
- Choose a route adapted to your physical abilities
- Inform your family and friends of your itinerary
- Find out about the weather conditions
- A first aid kit is not essential, but can be very useful
- Be informed and keep the emergency numbers.
- Respect the environment by not throwing your food packaging on the side of the road
- If you have to return at nightfall, make sure you see and also be seen
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view