Those deciding on the rather more challenging and scenically rewarding Überetsch variation of the Via Claudia Augusta should remain on the orographic right side of the Etschtal in Andriano/Andrian, following the old wine road to Riva di Sotto/Unterrain.
This variation ascends to San Paolo/St. Pauls in Überetsch up to the two largest wine producing municipalities in South Tyrol, Appiano/Eppan and Caldaro/Kaltern. Just after Appiano, head down to the Kalterer See lake, the warmest bathing lake in the Alps, and on to the village of Termeno/Tramin, famed for its Gewürztraminer wine. With their vineyards and wineries, the picturesque wine villages further to the south, Cortaccia/Kurtatsch, Magrè/Margreid and Cortina all'Adige/Kurtinig, are also well worth a visit. At Egna/Neumarkt, the two variations meet up once more at the Via Claudia Augusta on the Etschtal Cycle Path leading to Salorno/Salurn and then on to Italian-speaking Trentino.
Tip: an interactive route planner of the Via Claudia Augusta is available at www.viaclaudia.org
Recommended maps for this region:
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.