The Northern Wine Route begins on the Waltherplatz square, the historical centre of Bolzano/Bozen and leads through the place of origin of the fine St. Magdalener and the autochthonous grape variety Lagrein to Cardano/Kardaun and via Rencio/Rentsch on through Gries to Terlano/Terlan, Vilpiano/Vilpian, and Nalles/Nals.
From San Maurizio/Moritzing beyond Gries, the wine route leads through a unique cultural landscape full of historical estates and manors. At Vilpiano the route switches to the other side of the valley toward Nalles through the wine village of Andriano/Andrian. The route continues towards Frangarto/Frangart to Sigmundskron Castle (Schloss Sigmundskron).
Return via Andriano and Frangarto to Bolzano. The partial stretch from Bolzano to Terlano at the start of the route can also be done by train.
Along the route there are numerous wine bars and wineries in which Lagrein, St. Magdalener and Sauvignon can be tasted.
Recommended maps for this region:
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.