Informationen zur Tour The Birmehl trail
- 1:00 h
- 180 m
- 180 m
- Max. height
- 957 m
The »Birmehl« Trail starts at the village square in Verdings and leads over the dry meadow on the south side of Church Hill down to
the hamlet of Pardell and from there up to the beautifully situated Moar zu Viersch farmstead. It returns to the starting-point via an old cobblestone path. Verdings, a settlement belonging to the community of Klausen, is located on the sunny side of the Eisack Valley and has a populace of approx. 500. St. Valentine is the patron saint of the Hill Church. The first documented mention of the church was in the year 1202. It originally had a basic Romanic appearance (the tower), but was given Gothic characteristics during the second half of the 14th century (see the cross-ribbed vault).
Stations at the trail
3. Dry meadow on Church Hill
This sunny, dry, and sometimes steppe-like habitat represents a preserve for species of rare plants and animals. At numerous places on the surface, outcroppings of the underlying quartz phyllite (a metamorphic mineral) can be seen. In order to survive the dry conditions, plants have adapted and evolved special growth forms: Thick coats of hairs, thorny and leathery leaves, water-storage structures, and deep roots.
4. The »Gönna« chestnut forest
The chestnut tree is the characteristic tree of this forest and is found throughout the medium-altitude mountains of the Eisack, on the sunny side. For centuries, the chestnut tree has given the landscape its unique look. The fruit of the chestnut is very nutritious and good-tasting. In the local German dialect, chestnuts are called »Keschtn«, and are the property of the farmers. For centuries, they were an important dietary supplement (»Bread that grows on trees«). Today, they are sold commercially, are an essential part of the quaint custom of »Törggelen«, or are employed in gourmet recipes.
6. Moar zu Viersch
The handsome country estate Moar (Mayr) zu Viersch (870 meters above sea-level) was purchased from Bishop Albuin of Brixen in A.D. 990. For centuries, it supplied produce to the High Monastery. From 1645 to 1879, it was the property of the Lords of Troyer. In 1720, they built St. Catherine's Chapel. In 1878, the group of farmsteads of zu Viersch went up in flames and was then rebuilt as you see it today.
In days past, Verdings was often derisively referred to as the »Birmehl village«. This very rustic hamlet acquired this nickname because there were so many pear-trees (German: Birne = pear) here. From some varieties of pears, pear flour (German: »Birmehl«) was made. The pears were either cored or left whole and then dried to form so-called »clumps«. The pears were dried in the sun – often, after baking bread, the oven's residual heat was used to dry them. In the wintertime, the »clumps« were allowed to freeze and then ground to make »pear flour«. In the past, pear flour was used as a substitute for sugar, which was very expensive. Pear flour was used to fill pastries, as a sweetener, or was sprinkled over a buttery wheat/ buckwheat porridge.
In the local German dialect, the term »Bangert« (or »Bamgart«) refers to a demarcated plot of land on which various varieties of apples, pears, plums, and berries are cultivated. In Verdings, four of these orchards (characteristic for this landscape) can still be found near the farmsteads of Hintner, Brunner, Rungger, and Gosser. These orchards are home to very rare cultivars of apples and pears (including such varieties as the Köstliche, Kalterer Böhmer, Gold Pearmain, Plattlinger, Lederer, Stoanpepeller, the Kanada, etc.).
Reach Chiusa/Klausen with the train, continue by bus until Verdignes/Verdins.
Drive at the A22 in direction of the Chiusa/Klausen. Now follow the signs to Verdignes/Verdins and drive through Velturno/Feldthurns.