The Braunau District Museum is located in the heart of the old town, right next to the beautiful Stefanskirche.
You will be amazed at the uniqueness and variety of our exhibits!
The duke's castle is a former coffer, built at the beginning of the 15th century, where taxes were to be delivered. The entrance doors and the role tree on the front of the house still remind us of this today.
The house was hardly inhabited, therefore the architecture is still largely in its original condition.
The Gothic window frames can still be seen today.
In 1976 the house was opened as a district museum.
On the ground floor there is a photo studio, a model of the city made of ceramics, fire-extinguishing devices from fire buckets to motor syringes, a historic crib from around 1750 and a mechanical crib.
On the 1st floor temporary exhibitions are held; in addition, there is a Gothic room (figures by Johann Peter Schwanthaler, Zürn, Leimberger and from Bach's inner circle)
On the 2nd floor there is a collection of keys and locks from the 12th to the 19th century, prehistoric collections from the Neolithic period to modern times, various guilds and the history of the town (including the original beard of the councilman and city leader, Hans Steininger. The beard was 3 ½ cubits - Now 1.8 m long and is 445 years old) On the 3rd. floor there is a newly-constructed picture gallery