The Mount San Vigilio cable railway was officially opened in 1912. The mountain in the Lana territory became a very much desired hiking destination for anyone selecting Merano as a place of treatment and for the illustrious citizens of Burggrafenamt.
At the time, the lift system was supported by 39 pillars and the line had an intermediate station that reduced the travel time to approximately 20 minutes. The two world wars dramatically reduced the use of the cable railway for tourism. In 1952 the cable railway was totally renewed. The intermediate station disappeared and was replaced with reinforced concrete pillars and a light metal cab. In 2008 the railway was modernised for the last time. The local entrepreneur Ulrich Ladurner added larger cabs and a video surveillance system. This improvement facilitated and speeded up the trip to Mount San Vigilio, the Burggrafenamt mountain, the ideal location to get refreshment in summer. The incline from 328 to 1486 metres is now travelled in 8 minutes only.