There has always been a fountain on the cathedral square, even more so because the square also was the location of the local cattle markets until 1820. Originally, a fountain was located in front of the Trapp house, which houses the public library today. When the police ordered for two large flowerbeds bounded by wire fences to be laid out on the cathedral square in 1952 to prevent larger groups of people from gathering, a waterspout fountain was erected in the northern flowerbed (pictured). On occasion of the redesign of the cathedral square in 1989, artist Martin Rainer (1923–2012) created the Lebensbrunnen fountain. The bronze pyramid in the marble basin represents the different stages of human life and the circle of life as a spiral which springs from the hand of God and returns to it in the end.