The last ruins of the wall seem to be hanging on to the side of the rocky cliff of the Stevia. The Wolkenstein castle was the ancestral home of the aristocratic Tyrolese Wolkenstein-Trotsburg family.
At 1600 m at the entrance of the Val Gardena in Vallelunga, below a rocky protrusion, what can be described as a “cave-castle” has been in the same position since the 13th century. The structure should have protected the passage from the Gardena Pass to Val Badia. After having changed owner numerous times (within the Wolkensteiner family) at the end of the 15th century the castle was attacked and taken by force by the Venetians. After its renovation it was then used as headquarters for the courthouse.