At the entrance of the Ega valley, east of Bolzano, the castle looks out onto the Bolzano basin. The Cornèdo Burg Karneid castle was probably built in the 13th century by the Greifensteiner aristocrats.
After various changes in ownership year 1573 finally arrived, year of multiple architectural changes. In the 16th century the castle underwent the last changes that consisted in the current entrance, the towers of the gate and some changes inside the building. In the 18th century the castle was already partly degraded, Ferdinand von Miller and his successors restored the castle respecting the historical period. During the last years, the Cornèdo community has further restored the castle and has achieved in exchange the right to organise public cultural displays and events on site. Since spring 2006 the castle is open to the public between the months of April and October.