Welsperg castle is situated on a hill near Welsperg at the entrance of Gsieser valley.
At first glance, the castle appears more like a church rather than having been built for defence against enemies, mainly because of its incredibly tall tower. The castle keep is 40 metres high. It is the oldest part of the castle and dates from the first half of the 12th century. During the Renaissance period the building was extended. The castle used to be owned by the noblemen of Welsberg, members of some the most important noble families of Tyrol. The marriage of Duke Sigmund IV at the castle was a massive event, with 3600 invited guests. Fate struck in 1750 when a fire destroyed a large part of the great hall. It was never rebuilt, and the castle remained uninhabited. Today the castle is a popular venue for concerts and exhibitions.