The Austrian Empress Elisabeth, better known as “Princess Sissi” chose the Schloss Trauttmannsdorff in 1870 as her centre for wellbeing in Meran. Her two daughters, Gisela and Marie Valerie, accompanied her.
After just a few weeks from their arrival the Austrian newspapers spoke of the healing of Marie Valerie. These headlines made Meran the town for spa treatments par excellence. In 1889 princess Sissi visited the newly renovated castle. Schloss Trauttmannsdorf is situated in the outskirts of Meran, on the eastern side, and is the headquarters of the Touriseum – museum that displays the development of South-Tyrolean tourism. The castle is surrounded by the Trauttmannsdorff botanical gardens. The various gardens have earned this location the title of one of “the most beautiful gardens in Italy” (2005).