Reinegg castle towers on a hill on the Eastern side of Sarn Valley, above Sarntheim, the principal town of the valley.
But the impression of a defensive stronghold is somewhat deceptive: Schloss Reinegg is on a hillside location which is not particularly suitable for defence. The castle walls on the side facing the mountain are much stronger, and the castle keep also has remarkable dimensions with a wall thickness of over 2 metres. Two gates lead through the walls, the main gate on the valley side, and a smaller one opposite. Apart from the mighty keep which is visible from afar, Schloss Reinegg has an impressive great hall with a continuous Gothic interior and 6 pointed-arch windows.
Reinegg castle was built in the mid-13th century, and is recorded in 1263 as being owned by the countess Elisabeth von Eppan. Ten years later, ownership was transferred to count Meinhard II of Tyrol. Over the centuries, fiefs were granted to a number of different families until in 1635, Reinegg castle came under the ownership of Bolzano merchant David Wagner. In 1861 the Wagner family was elevated to Counts of Sarthein; they owned Reinegg castle until 1936 when it was sold. The castle is privately owned and not open to the public.