The Mayenburg ruin is situated on a hill close to the village of Foiana.
The Mayenburg castle, that was first officially mentioned in 1241, was commissioned by the Appiano Counts as a strategic element for their defence system. When the Appiano dynasty died out the castle was passed on to the Counts of Tyrol as a fief. In 1650 the castle was owned by Count Veit Benno Brandis that expanded it noticeably. In 1814, when the castle was already noticeably deteriorated, it became owned by peasant families. Finally, in 1922 the Auffinger family of doctors bought the ruins of the castle and refurbished it. The castle is a private property and is not open to the public.