The castle stands aggressive on a porphyritic cliff at the entrance of the Val Sarentino. The strategic position of the castle allows for a perfect view on the connection between the commercial town of Bolzano and Val Sarentino.
On the contrary to many other South-Tyrolean castles, Castel Roncolo was not modified during the neoclassic period and has maintained its original medieval characteristics. It was built in 1237 by the Wangen family. The brothers, Friedrich and Beral von Wangen, thanks to their castle, entered in the political entourage of the Bishop of Trento. Due to their political involvement, in 1276/77, the castle was attacked by the troops of Meinhard II, Count of Tyrol, and was seriously damaged and eventually occupied. From the 14th century the Castle was rebuilt various times and so was it in the eight hundreds upon request of the owners. Since 1893 it has been owned by the town of Bolzano. Nowadays, Roncolo is famous all around Europe thanks to its secular frescos representing blasphemous subjects that go back to the medieval times. Countless cultural and culinary displays make Castel Roncolo the most aspired to medieval outpost.