A mighty curtain wall encloses Reifenstein castle. The building has never been conquered or destroyed: Reifenstein is one of the best preserved castles of South Tyrol.
South-west of Sterzing, the mighty Burg Reifenstein looks down from a rocky hill. In historical documents, the castle first appears in 1110 when it was given to the noblemen of Stilfes as a fief. In 1410, the ownership of Reifenstein passed to the German Order of Knights. In 1813, the Order was dissolved, and the Princes of Thurn and Taxis received the castle as compensation for the abolition of their postal monopoly. The castle's Gothic interior takes visitors back in time to the Middle Ages: the entrance gate is secured by a portcullis, and the historic drawbridge leads across the moat. Parapets and embrasures in the walls are a reminder of the battles that were fought here. The great hall lies beyond. The rooms are fitted with wood panelling, ornaments and beamed ceilings. The Green Hall in particular is worth seeing: its green painted walls are covered with rich fresco paintings. The adjoining bay contains the family chapel, separated from the living area by a skilfully carved lattice. The castle is privately owned but open to visitors.