The Cathedral in Bolzano is dedicated to Maria Assunta (Assumpted Mary) and stands high and majestic in the southern part of the Piazza Walther square.
The Cathedral in Bolzano perfectly combines the architectural style of the north with that of the south. A fruitful symbiosis between the Romanesque and the Gothic architectural styles. The first plane dates back to paleo-christian times. In the XI century a Romanesque church was built with a quadrangular plan: the church was dedicated to the Assumpted Mary. The belfry built in 1517 by Hans Lutz von Schussenried is a true masterpiece of rock sculpture in Gothic style. At the base of the belfry is located a quadrangular construction with a tunnel. Rampant archways with filigree sculpted figures complete this work of art. Immediately under the belfry, a mention is worth to the frescos made around 1400 by a pupil of Giotto. The three nave Cathedral of Bolzano is the first Gothic hall church in the history of architecture and it is contemplated among the churches having the highest number of seats in the entire Alpine area.