Above the village of Scena near Merano surrounded by lawns and fruit yards is the beautiful Romanesque church of San Giorgio.
The church was built in the XIII century on the ruins of the chapel of the San Giorgio fortress, otherwise known as Ancient Schenna. In 1591 a lightning fully destroyed half of the church. Numerous frescos dating back to the XIV century are well preserved and represent, among other scenes, Saint George's martyrdom, the Crack of Doom and Saint Nicholas' legend. The Gothic winged altar depicts Saint George on horse back fighting with the dragon.