Reformierte Talkirche Ursern
Ferienregion Andermatt Verified partner Explorers Choice
Modest, small, and a part of Andermatt’s history.
The Evangelical Reformed valley church of Ursern was created simultaneously with the building of the Gotthard fortification.
In 1914/1915, Protestant employees from the fort administration looked for a suitable opportunity for holding their church services. The church was still surrounded by open fields back then. The houses only came along in the course of the century.
Construction of the church – “the little soldier’s church” – was possible thanks to donations by the Gotthard garrison and other patrons, as well as an extraordinarily large payment by confirmands.
The church consists of a plain nave, which is covered by a hipped roof with an octagonal tower. The canopy at the entrance stands on wooden columns. An annexe with a reading room is located on the southern side.
Questions and answers
Would you like to the ask the author a question?
Help others by being the first to add a review.
Photos from others