The ancient Pieve di San Prosdocimo Oltre Brenta is located in Villanova di Camposampiero and it is now open to the public after a long period of restoration.
The recent restoration of the Pieve di San Prosdocimo allowed to recover one of the main historical sites in Villanova di Camposampiero. The history of one of the most ancient buildings belonging to the Padua diocese highlights the history of devotion in this rural area: the Pieve is dedicated to San Prosdocimo, first bishop of Padua, and it’s called “Oltre Brenta” to remember the southern board of the Graticolato Romano or Roman grid, whose southern delimitation was the river Brenta itself. Located not too far from Villa Ruzzini, the building goes back to 1780; the restoration has brought to light the original foundation, dated from the Roman period, around the 11th and the 12th century: Roman foundation, 10th-century tombs, bricks from the pre-Lombard period, trace of frescoes and altars and much more make this Pieve particularly interesting. The visit is enriched by the exhibition of a copy of Andrea Previtali’s elegant painting, in Renaissance style.
Free admission. Guided tour with reservation required.