For centuries, the Maria Himmelfahrt parish and pilgrimage church in Unsere liebe Frau im Walde (St Felix) has been a popular destination for believers from all nations.
The atmosphere of the village is one of devout tranquility. Here, pilgrims find moments of reflection and religious contemplation. From the Gampenpass, the pilgrims' route passes 14 places before reaching the Church of the Assumption, Maria Himmelfahrt. Unsere Liebe Frau im Walde has a long tradition as a place of pilgrimage. It was first mentioned in a document dating back to 1184 where Pope Lucius III declared the parish independent of the municipality of Sarnonico. In the same century, a hospice for travellers was added to the local monastery. In the early 13th century the construction of the pilgrimage church began.
The Romanesque church tower has survived over the centuries. The nave is Gothic, as demonstrated by the ribbed vault and tracery windows. Anyone entering Maria Himmelfahrt will immediately notice the baroque high altar decorating the chancel. The tabernacle, set in gold, depicts Jesus Christ. The centre is occupied by the miraculous image of Maria, especially revered by pilgrims. The splendid altar is flanked by the four Church Fathers.. On both sides, as well as in the side naves, are further altars depicting episodes of the Saints' lives. Fragments of the Gothic altar can still be seen and tell of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary.