In 1553 the appearance of the holy virgin Mary changed the life of farmer Leonhard Weißensteiner. To thank her, he had a chapel built in the Catinaccio/Latemar area. The number of pilgrims increased constantly.
The church was completed in 1673. In 1753 Giuseppe Dellai added the Baroque style to the pilgrimage church. By order of the emperor Joseph II some parts of the monastery were demolished and all its assets were sold at an auction. The church was rebuilt in the XVIII century. Still today the shrine of Madonna di Pietralba is one of the most beloved places of worship of Alto Adige. After the visit of Pope John Paul II to this place of pilgrimage in 1988, the flow of pilgrims has increased progressively. The shrine of Madonna di Pietralba, besides having a key role as a place of pilgrimage, is also a beloved place by hikers.