The special feature of Barbian parish church can be seen from miles away: The church tower is leaning to such an extent that one could have doubts as to its safety. The tower is slanting by no less than 1.57 m but is not in danger of collapsing.
Historical documents first mention this parish church in 1378, but some components point to a much earlier construction date. The church is dedicated to St Jacob the Elder. The octagonal pitched roof has a diamond-shaped pattern and was added in the 15th century. The strong inclination of the church tower already became evident during construction and had to be taken into account when the pyramid roof was built. At the same time as the roof renewal, the church itself was modified. However, its current neo-Romanesque style was not added to the nave until 1874. All that remains of the original Gothic construction is the chancel. From the inside of the church, 12 colourful stained-glass windows can be admired, depicting scenes from the lives of the apostles. The high altar has a replica of the well-known Wechselburg crucifixion group.